10/16/13

September Good Dinner: Scape American Bistro, 9/20

From the President:

Our September host, Sheena, chose Scape American Bistro. I have to admit that I wasn't too excited about this one, having dined there previously to find the food fairly bland. However, Sheena got repeated recommendations from friends about Scape and I had some disappointed invitees respond that they had to decline but that Scape was one of their favorite restaurants.

Parking is always tricky in the CWE but Scape offers valet service at a charge at the door. That is always a plus for me although the charge always irritates me. Scape is decorated fairly formally but well done. My memory is that it is sleek with lots of shiny black counters and other accoutrements.  Had the weather been better, the outside dining space looks great. There are options in the rear of the restaurant which look quite peaceful and in the front, where you get more of a city feel. The group gave Scape 4 1/2 stars for its ambiance, I would give it 4 stars.

Our excellent service started before dinner. I called to expand the reservation and was denied the night before our dinner, the restaurant explained they had a busy Friday scheduled. But Friday I received a call advising that they had some cancellations and could now accommodate us. I was really impressed that they would have made a note of my call and followed up with me. We had a large party and the service was almost perfect. Our food came out quickly and well timed even though we had some guests that were very late (including me) due to the traffic from the Balloon Glow). Our server was very pleasant and accommodating. The group gave Scape 4 1/2 stars for service but I would give them 5 stars.

The food was well-prepared and tasty but frankly, nothing that left me anxious to return right away. I ordered the short ribs which came with spaetzle.  I thought that was a unique choice and I was excited to have it. The spaetzle was great, the meat was flavorful but the sauce left a little to be desired. It had an interesting flavor but just not tangy enough for my taste.  Our diners also made comments on both the chopped salad and the salmon. I took dessert to go and it was really good. The peach cobbler is interesting, the crust is almost a cake. I enjoyed it very much. I give the food a solid 4 stars, while our diners gave it 4 1/2 stars.

Overall, our diners gave the restaurant 5 stars,  but I would give it 4 stars. It seems that this restaurant is one you have to try for yourself. It might be your new favorite, depending on your taste.

What do you think of Scape?
Please rate & review below!

4 comments:

  1. Waittress was attentive. Food was timely and served hot. Ambiance of the restaurant was nice. Nice restaurant, overall was happy with the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great experience overall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The staff at Scape was very attentive and had a great attitude. The chopped salad and salmon were very tasty. The presentation was appealing and the food was excellent. We had a large crowd and the waittress did a good job of accommodating quickly as each guest arrived. Great service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't get to attend GDC, but I love their brunch and the outside seating.

    ReplyDelete