12/22/11

November Good Dinner: Tavern Kitchen & Bar, 11/22

November's Good Dinner was selected by Allison, and we went to Tavern Kitchen & Bar in Valley Park. Tavern opened in the Fall of 2010 and has gotten rave reviews since. In fact, St. Louis Magazine named it the 2011 Restaurant of the Year. Known for having "exquisite comfort food," this place lived up to the tag line. There was a large group of us this time around the dinner table, probably about 12, and we were seated at this long tall oak table in the front of the venue. The place had great ambiance and we had wonderful service by our awesome server Josh. Service got the highest ratings. Out of the 9 folks who submitted evaluations forms, 7 people gave service 5 spoons, and 2 gave 4 spoons. Most people were very happy with their food, and if not thrilled with there selection, there was a general excitement buzzing about the uniqueness of meal options. For food, three people gave 5 spoons, 2 gave 4.5, 3 gave 4 spoons, and one gave 3 spoons. I am proud to post our first food photo! This picture displays the Oak Plank Taster, consisting of Beef & Barley Stew, Chicken Saltimbocca, Pork Tenderloin and Filet 'Loco Moco' (I believe the filet has the egg on top). Talk about presentation! Folks were also impressed with the Pineapplitinis, a pineapple/vodka infused vodka & Malibu mixture. I chose a lighter fare this time around, having the Iceberg salad with bacon bits and candied pecans with a side order of the Cream 'Less' Corn. The corn was delish! On to atmosphere. Most liked the digs, with 7 diners giving 4 spoons, and 2 gave 3 spoons. The main drawback was the location actually. This is not the type of restaurant you expect to see in a strip mall behind a Taco Bell, which, unfortunately IS where you find it. But overall, a unique and cozy experience is what you find once you enter in. Overall, 2 people gave this Tavern 5 spoons, 3 people gave 4.5 spoons (ok, one person gave 4.25 spoons, but come'on people! Has anyone ever seen a quarter or half spoon?! I digress...). And 4 people gave 4 spoons. Personally, I'm going to give Tavern Kitchen & Bar 4 out of 5 spoons. Looking forward to a repeat visit. What do you think? Rate & leave your comments below!

NOTE: To comment, click on red "comments" text below this blog box.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this restaurant and our server was fantastic. The descriptions of the menu items were so fantastic that I'm not sure it ever had a chance at living up to expectations. The food was good but not outstanding. I was particularly excited about their tater tot casserole but very disappointed to learn it was made with American cheese (yuck!). I would go back
    -- The President

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this place! One of my favorite GDC evenings ever because of the food AND the company. But I loved the food. I was glad to be sitting near people eager to share because I got to taste so much. I've already recommended the restaurant to several people, and I'm planning to head back in the new year.

    ReplyDelete