10/30/14

October Good Dinner: Planter's House

A message from the PR Representative Brady:

This month Jerina had chosen Planter's House in Lafayette Square District for our October GDC. I have to admit the menu is less than impressive with a very small sampling of options. I was quite afraid that I would not find a selection to my liking because of the lack of choices. The menu offered a beef, fish, chicken, and vegetarian dish, but only one selection of each. I selected the peppercorn encrusted steak, which was very flavorful, but almost too flavorful with the amount of peppercorns that were presented on the dish. If the dish had a little less spice it would have been abosultely delightful.

Parking was difficult, since Mississippi Avenue is very busy with residential and business parking. The atmosphere had a warm inviting feel, but the noise level was a little too much for a dinner conversation. The seating is very cramped and a little too crowded for my taste.

The service was good and the staff was attentive, but for the amount of patrons it could have been better. Our waitress always had a smile on her face, and was willing to explain any dish that we had questions about. The seafood dish that one of our guests ordered was not prepared in a traditional manner and seemed to be missing the accompaning pasta side. But overall the food was good, I just don't think I would personally visit more than once for dining. This venue seems better fitted for cocktails and socialization.

Overall the food was good. Diners would give the Planter's House 2.75 out of 5 spoons for a unique meal and experience!

4 comments:

  1. Our waitress was pleasant and the restaurant overall was very accommodating. They had no issue putting the sauce from the peppercorn encrusted steak on my roasted chicken. They also did not bat an eye when I asked them to substitute the succotash that came with the chicken for the fingerling potatoes that came with another dish.

    I have had drinks at Planter's House previously and did not have a great experience so my expectations were pretty low. I had looked at the menu beforehand and felt it was really limited so I was not looking forward to dinner. My food ended up being delicious!! The roasted chicken was moist and succulent. It was well-seasoned and the potatoes were just as delicious.

    Parking is a little difficult at Planter's House because the area is busy with other restaurants and residences. Regardless, I did not have to park too far away. The decor was basic and classic but nothing speceial. I do not care for the color of green on the exterior of the restaurant but it certainly stands out.

    A delicious meal and pleasant, accommodating staff always is a winner for me. I would definitely return in a heartbeat!

    The President

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our server Amy was very sweet and informed us of all of the specials. She checked on us often to see if there was anything we needed and allowed our party of five to pay individually which does not happen in most restaurants.

    At first I was not sure there was anything I wanted on the menu because it was not that extensive but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food that was served. The flatbread was very tasty and my steak (rare which never seems to come out right) was right on the mark!

    Parking was adjacent to the restaurant. The restrooms were clean and the decor was nice.

    I would go back to this restaurant. I found it quite charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For as small as the venue was, the service was slow. It took a while to get drink and food orders.

    The food was quite delightful for such a small menu. I was taken by surprise by my delicious dish. There could have been a little less peppercorns on the steaks though.

    The restaurant was very noisy and the space is a little cramped.

    Overall a good dinner, not great though. I would probably only return for cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our waitress was very friendly and personable. I think service was a little slow but I understood considering our waitress was the only one serving most of the restaurant.

    Planters makes the best craft cocktails. The food menu isn't very extensive, but I think it's because they want to be known for their cocktails.

    Love the ambiance of the restaurant, but it is generally always very loud in the main area. Such an intimate setting deserves equally intemate conversation, but you'll usually find yourself yelling at some point.

    It's a great spont for friends to gather for cocktails before or after dinner, but I would opt to eat elsewhere because of the limited food menu.

    ReplyDelete