3/8/11

February Good Dinner: Bacana Brasil, 2/25

February's dinner was at Bacana Brasil in Chesterfield, and I'd say it was a bit of a family affair. My mom and 4 month old daughter came along with my husband and I, and Shelby, Good Dinner Club President, also brought her mom. I believe there were ten of us in attendance. Tiffany Phifer was the February host, and her restaurant selection did not disappoint.
This Brazilian restaurant offers quite a unique dining experience. Dinner is a set price and entitles patrons to a bountiful buffet while fine cuts of meat (and shrimp) that have been grilled over an open fire are continually brought to the table on skewers, and shaved onto your plate. And don't let me forget the grilled pineapple - it was by far the most surprising item, and something you just have to try for yourself. I don't even like pineapple that much, but this was absolutely delicious.
My husband Fibbens, who serves as GDC's Chair of Alcohol Affairs, recommended diners try a Caipirinha, Brazil's national cocktail, made with cachaça sugar and lime. Many ordered the drink and enjoyed it. I had a taste myself, and it was quite refreshing.
So how did this restaurant rate overall? Well the food without question was fresh, of the highest quality, and in abundance. I heard no complaints from even the most discerning of pallets. The atmosphere was warm and inviting, and we were even provided a private dining room for our larger group, which was appreciated.
One disappointment was the lack of a diaper changing table in the restroom. This really only affected me who had to kneel on the tile floor to tend to my daughter, but an important component to those looking for family-friendliness. Another consideration that deserves mention is the hefty price tag. With dinner being a set price around $30 a person (not including drinks), the sticker shock at meal's end was, well, a bit of a shock. Don't get me wrong, I think the quality and abundance of food validated the price, but this may just be a special occasion destination, not a regular treat. One thing that might make the restaurant more welcoming to a wider range of patrons would be to offer a variety of meal options at different price points. For example, a vegetarian who would not partake of the meat cuts might be able to opt for just the buffett for a lower price.
All in all, I'd say all GDC attendees enjoyed their meal and the unique dining experience Bacana offered.
Good Dinner Diva Rating: 4 out of 5 Spoons

1 comment:

  1. I had a wonderful time as always. Most of the food I ate was delicious but I also felt like it was overpriced. My bill was $60 because I had two drinks on top of the price of dinner. I just always prefer to make my own selection and pay a specific price for that selection. I really hate buffets. However, it is always nice to have good food with good friends.

    ReplyDelete